Amazon SNS: Simple Notification Service Tutorial
Amazon SNS (Simple Notification Service) is a messaging service that enables you to send notifications to your subscribers or end-users through email, SMS, Amazon SQS, HTTP or HTTPS endpoints. It is a flexible and fully managed service that allows you to send messages to multiple recipients using various message protocols. This tutorial will give you a brief introduction to Amazon SNS and help you understand how to use it effectively.
To follow this tutorial, you need the following:
- An AWS account
- Basic knowledge of AWS SNS concepts
Creating an SNS Topic
The first thing you need to do is create an SNS topic. Follow the steps below:
- Login to the AWS Management Console and navigate to SNS service.
- Select the “Topics” menu item on the left and click the “Create new topic” button.
- Provide a name and display name for your topic. SNS will use the name as an Amazon Resource Name (ARN) for your topic after you create it. You can also provide a display name for your topic so that you can easily understand the purpose of the topic in the future, and an optional policy to specify access control permissions.
- Click “Create topic” to create your topic. Your topic will appear on the Topics page with its ARN.
Subscribing to an SNS Topic
After you create a topic, you need to subscribe endpoints to it, such as email addresses, phone numbers or AWS Lambda functions. Follow the steps below:
- In the SNS console, select the topic you just created.
- Select the “Create subscription” button, choose a protocol and provide an endpoint address.
- Click “Create subscription” to subscribe the endpoint to your topic. You will receive a message asking you to confirm your subscription for most protocols.
Publishing Messages to an SNS Topic
You can use the SNS console or an AWS SDK to publish a message to your SNS topic. Follow the steps below to publish a message in the SNS console:
- In the SNS console, select the topic you want to publish a message to.
- Enter a message into the message box, then select “Publish message”.
- After you publish a message, all subscribers to the topic will receive the message through their subscribed endpoint.
Amazon SNS is a reliable and highly scalable notification service that can help you to send notifications to a large number of endpoints using various messaging protocols. In this tutorial, you learned how to create an SNS topic, subscribe endpoints to it, and publish a message to the topic.